Friday, April 06, 2007

Reading and Research for landscape architects

Landscape Architecture magazine editor, Bill Thompson, recently asked if landscape architects make time for reading. In my 25 years of practice, I have integrated reading and research as a vital element of my work. If you visit my office, you will find shelves and shelves of books and magazines. There may be 300 books or more. I frequently find myself drifting toward bookstores when I travel or shop.
Most importantly, I will pull down a book for reference each week. A book is in hand as I eat lunch and I will read in the evening as I relax after a tough long day. Magazines are also a great resource for trends and products. Many of the books are still relevant 10 year later.

So, what am I reading now? At work, I am reading Blue Ocean Strategy, a marketing book about creating new market space. It was recommended by a friend in the marketing business. For fun, I am reading, The Namesake.

So, what are you reading for work and fun?? Share with the PPN by responding to the listserv or this post.

4 Comments:

At 5:18 PM, Blogger Terry Duffy said...

I am reading your multiple posts.

J/K

I am a student in Boston. I am reading mainly text books, like the Smart Growth Maunual and the live/Work Code. They seem to be good ideas, especially if architects consult with LA's early in the design phase to properly locate a structure.

I know it may seem blase, but I still love AD.

Terry Duffy

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger Tim Thoelecke said...

Rosheen,
As always, great job with the communications. Right now I'm reading a 10 year old book myself. Not a 10 year old reading level, though I've had my moments! I'm reading Selling The Invisible, by Beckwith http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0446520942/bookstorenow600-20

It's a quick one and easy to pick up and put down. Next on my business reading list is Things That Stick by Chip and Dan Heath.

For fun, most of my reading is more like browsing. Topics include sports and my geeky magic hobby, or should I say obsession? Lately I've been into the writings of Idaho magician Scott Guinn, for anyone who cares.

Great question, and I look forward to hearing what others are in to.

Tim Thoelecke

 
At 2:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Craig Okerstrom-Lang, RLA, ASLA, Great Barrington, MA:
What I am reading now:
Magazines: Landscape Architecture, Architectural Digest, Horticulture, Landscape Architect, Dwell, Architect, Eco-Structure, Berkshire Living, National Geographic,
New York Times: read almost every day and always Sunday edition.
Local newspapers for local politics, issues and sports.
Technical stuff on line concerning industry products and research info.
Novels: subjects that are not related to my daily professional life such as mystery, spy novels.

 
At 7:01 PM, Blogger John said...

Nothing I'm reading right now compares to a nonfiction piece I recently finished: The Worst Hard Time: The Untold Story of Those Who Survived the Great American Dust Bowl, by Timothy Egan. An intimate look, composed from first-person accounts, at the collision of hubris, ignorance and ecological malpractice that created one of America's greatest environmental tragedies.

John Black

 

Post a Comment

<< Home